During week 4 of term 4 the year 5’s and 6’s went on a school camp for five days in the bay of islands. Wednesday was my favourite day because Monday and Tuesday were really wet. But Wednesday was dry like a Summers day is supposed to be.

The day started when we woke up, had breakfast, packed our lunch and gear, and got on the bus or van. Me and my day group which was Pink were in the black van. It was like an hour and a half drive but I made it,

partly because I had Harlem to talk to, he’s a really nice guy. Once we arrived at Opononi we changed into our togs and the Manea experience building. Blue A and Pink (my group) walked down to the wharf, we then boarded a boat which took us across the Hokiangna harbour to the sand dunes. Once we arrived we grabbed a board and stepped down the bow ladder, yes the bow turned into a ladder! We then had one or two hours of fun sandboarding. The first time you do it your really scared because you can’t see the bottom, but it’s just a slope. And once you’ve done it once, it’s really fun! So once we were done we waited for the boat to arrive and it did with some other groups. But… while we were sandboarding the tide slowly rose, they didn’t take offf their shoes so they had to jump. But we were fine because we were barefoot. We hopped on the boat and went back to Manea, we got changed, had a play in the lawn and then we did the experience.

Sandboarding was the funnest thing we did at the Waikohai bay of islands camp 2023. I absolutely loved it.

Here’s some photos.